Twitter

Monday, December 29, 2008

Motorola StarTac plus ClipOn Organizer, circa 1999!




The Motorola StarTac was an incredibly sleek phone back in it's day. I have the AT&T version, which uses TDMA cellular technology. I also have the StarTac ClipOn Organizer, which employed Starfish software to synch the PDA data to my PC as well as to an online website, so that the data was safely backed up and readily available on the web. Phone contact entries could be dialed from the Organizer itself, as it interfaced via the charger/data connector to the phone. Pretty advanced stuff considering it's been nearly 10 years ago that all this was possible already.

3 comments:

  1. it is amazing how regressive technology can be.

    Old tech (with a plenty of exceptions) was:
    -sturdy
    -reliable
    -easy to use
    compared to what we have now.

    Having said that Motorola is still capable of coming up with mobiles that stick to old (good) logic such as e.g. F3

    I do have high hopes for that new "zii" technology ( www.zii.com ) hyped recently on dapreview.net If it takes off it should give us a lot of common sense solutions that dont break the bank either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, the StarTac was truly a milestone product, and agree with your comment about how regressive technology can be - we need things like robust and sturdy hardware to come back to the stage of consumer electronics. How about a ruggedized iPod option, without a shiny exterior that needs a case to protect it? I'd go for it in a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I do think this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it ;) I am
    going to revisit yet again since I book marked it. Money
    and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to help others.

    Stop by my web blog - Michael Kors Outlet online

    ReplyDelete