Twitter

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sony Walkman SRF-F1

From Sony SRF-F1 Walkman


This little guy is one of my favorite vintage Walkman radios - it's a Sony Sports Walkman FM Stereo, model SRF-F1, from about 1986 (almost 25 years ago!) It has a built-in fixed rechargeable battery (which suprisingly, still holds a charge) and is very compact and lightweight. It came equipped with a headband and armband for the Walkman to clip onto, and includes the BC-401 external charger (shown above), which charges the Walkman with 4 AA batteries. The portable charger can also power the Walkman directly if it runs out of juice on-the-go, so that was a bit of a forerunner to today's portable external battery chargers for iPods and the like. The baby-blue bright colors and diagonal graphics and styling motif reflect a very distinctive 80's look, which makes it very reflective of design trends of that era.

7 comments:

  1. Hello!
    dose any one know were to get replacment ear phones for this? It takes a smaller plug.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello

    I have the ear phones, but before eventually selling them I would like to know where I can find a replacement battery
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone ever find a replacement battery for this fine piece of gear
    please send reply to vy1cbc@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. For headphones just search eBay for 2.5mm jack headphone. I just got a pair of Panasonic phones with 2.5mm (1/8 th inch?) that work perfectly.

    However my battery just failed to hold a charge. I've opened it up but can't see how to get at battery which sits beneath the PCB. Anyone done this op or have any helpful suggestions?

    I love this little unit and don't want to bin it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. tengo la misma remplace la s baterias x 1 de mp4,de litio de 3.7 volt,y el rendimiento es superior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No battery number is stated here for the srf-f1 Sony. It requires 2 rechargeable batteries, GS on top of the + side & below the # GF50 which I find absolutely no info on. Made in Japan is stamped on the batteries. You have to gently lift the paper thin circuit board away as I believe the batteries are adhered to the back of the radio. There are 2 black screws that need to come out too on the opposite end where the jacks are located.

      Delete
    2. Apparently the rechargable batteries (GS GF50) inside the radio unit itself are Litium Cadmium batteries 1.2 V. Two are connected in series. I measure them to about D=23mm h=3mm.

      I can't find any battery like it here in Sweden. They must be rechargable!!
      I think I might try to pry in an too large rechargeable litium 3V 100mAh, D=24.5mm h=3mm as an replacement, and see if it'll work. I.e. replace the two in series 1.2V+1.2V with one single 3V.

      Delete